Header Ad Banner

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Once a Warrior, Always a Warrior

I'm currently reading a book about transitioning from combat to "real life". Why? Well, as a parent I want to make sure I'm aware of what might be going on inside my son's head. Actually, I'm not real sure I've ever known what was going on inside his head, but it's always worth a shot, right?

This book, "Once a Warrior, Always a Warrior" by Col. Charles W. Hoge, MD is giving me a whole new perspective of PTSD, and other "problems" Warriors encounter when they try to meld back into non-combat life.

I've always been bothered with the idea that PTSD is a problem to be fixed. Col. Hoge explains it in a way that makes more sense to me. I've only actually just started reading but in the first few pages, he establishes that these "symptoms" that people will try to fix are nothing more than the skills a Warrior needs to survive and do their job. What they need is to learn how to navigate non-combat life with these skills that will never leave them.

Warriors aren't victims and they aren't broken. That sounds completely the opposite of all the stuff I've read so far. Which is really not much, because it hasn't been addressed all that much, at least not in a way that your everyday civilian will find it. Because I've had experiences with Warriors suffering different stages of PTSD, whether it was due to a TBI or just from the experiences during combat, and I've been trying to understand what I could do to help, I've been searching the bookstores for books that might make it make make more sense. It's hard to explain but sometimes you end up asking yourself things like: "When they get lost mid-sentence, do I bring them back to the same place in the conversation or give it up and move on" and "Should you give clues to things when they are obviously frustrated with their inability to remember something, or should I wait until they get it on their own?" "What can I do to help them, even if it means making them work at it?"

This book has been enlightening. Still no answer to my questions but it's made a positive difference already. The writing is very straight forward, right to the point: They aren't broken and navigating non-combat life is just another mission.

I'll be updating you on what I learn as I actually get into the book. This could be an amazing tool for Freedom Excursions. Hmmmm..... I've seen good reviews so far. I'm very hopeful.

If you want to check it out, the site is: http://onceawarrior.com

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment